Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thursday Art Club #1


Every Thursday I have an Art Club with a crazy group of about twenty 1st-5th grade kids. It's definitely not an art "class," but I think they learn something every time.

Today we messed around with oil pastels and construction paper, and the kiddos followed along while I talked them through a quick sketch of an owl.


It was pretty fun to see all their interpretations.


The one thing I always tell them is to never be so afraid to make a mistake that they never make a mark. I'm not much of a teacher, but the one thing I try to pound into them is to never let fear hold them back. I sincerely hope some of them take it to heart...there are a select few who I think have incredible potential.

After today's lesson, we spent a little over an hour messing around with pastels and markers. Really it's an excuse for me to sit down, draw, listen to disco, and give some advice to a few kids that actually take it to heart.



It's the little things that get you through the week. Thursday Art Club is my oasis in the Monday-through-Friday desert march.

No comments:

Post a Comment