Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thursday Art Club: Nighttime Tree Lot


Every Thursday I have an art club with a crazy group of about twenty 1st-5th grade kids. It's definitely not an art "class," but I think they learn a little something every time.


Today we made, more than anything, a giant mess.

Maybe it was the cold weather that made them more hyperactive than usual. Maybe it was the stage of the moon. Maybe it was the Tony Bennett Christmas album I was playing. But they were borderline insane today.

I found this lovely Christmas-themed step-by-step painting while browsing the internet, and thought it would be fun for my kids to do. And it was. But their extra energy combined with acrylic paint and glitter made it a pretty challenging hour and a half.




My mistake was doing an advanced project for such a wide age range. A few of the smaller kids got frustrated, but I took that opportunity to show them how to roll with their mistakes.

It's always nice to see them understand that an error is not the end of the world. The more they practice that frame of mind, the less they will hold themselves back.

In the end, there was paint, glue, glitter, and sequins everywhere. But there were also all smiles. So all in all, it was a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment