Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thursday Art Club: Winter Birch Trees


Every Thursday I have an art club with a crazy group of about twenty 1st-5th grade kids. It's definitely not an art "class," but I think they learn a little something every time.


Today I tried (for the first time) a watercolor project that I've seen on the first page many, many times while Google searching for a winter watercolor project for children. It seemed almost cliché after seeing it so often, and in so many variations. But somehow the cold weather just made it suddenly feel so appropriate.

The technique is fairly obvious; Use pieces of tape to make birch tree "silhouettes," paint the background, peel off the tape, brush on some tree details and you're done.

It was nice to get back to watercolors. I think the kids really feel like true artists when I give them a piece of watercolor paper and a few painting tips. I wish I had better sets for them, but they are learning more about working with what you've got, and mixing the primaries and values to get something new. Once they get color mixing down, they feel like they can do anything!



The tape-peeling process didn't go exactly as planned. A bit of the paper's surface always tore while removing the tape. But with a little reassurance, the kids were convinced that it only added to the appeal of their piece. It's always nice to avoid the "I'm a failure" meltdown. There's plenty of time for that when they get to college.



It's those proud smiles I always love to see. I wonder what we'll do next week...?




No comments:

Post a Comment