Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Art Club Returns: Speed Drawing and Sketchbooks



Thursday Art Club is back! Today I decided to challenge the kids a bit. We did an activity called "speed drawing," the result of which was five small sketches, all taking different amounts of time.


I started by showing them the proper way to do a quick sketch: not spending too much time on the details, but focusing on the overall picture. After a couple of practice rounds, the countdowns began. After choosing their animal--a cat, snake, dinosaur, or seahorse--they had five different increments of time to sketch it. First 5 seconds, then 10, 20, 30, and finally 60.

Kira, age 6

Unfortunately I was unable to get more pictures since my phone did a temporary disappearing act, but everyone from first grade to fifth grade did a great job. I was relieved that they were more amused than stressed at the notion of drawing an animal in five seconds. As their time increased, they noticed how much easier it was to fill in the details with a simple outline already laid out for them.

As a reward, we all made construction-and-scrap-paper sketchbooks. I went with the corny bee pun on mine, but thank goodness my kids are much more creative.



No comments:

Post a Comment