Friday, March 7, 2014

Thursday Art Club: Ghost Town/Muppets

Today I had a little step-by-step about "drawing light" planned, using colored pencils, chalk, and black construction paper; a repeat project that was fairly successful the first time around.


Unfortunately my usual Art Club crowd had other ideas. It is, after all, a choice, competing with a movie, computer games, and Perler Beads. Usually I have about 15-20 kids that would rather chill out and draw, but today I had four...count 'em, four...die-hard fans follow me to the art room.

Ok. I can roll with that.

First I had a whole list of time-lapse drawings on Youtube to show the kids (all four of 'em) what some of the possibilities are.

I was planning on repeating the short playlist a few times for the larger group, but while we were watching it, the kids kept wanting to see the long version of the Lipton Muppet Ad that kept popping up. So as a special treat for being devoted art nerds, we watched Jim Henson's Frog Prince, 1971, and drew Muppets for over an hour.


This was actually one of the most fun Art Club sessions I've had in a while, though I hope the severely reduced numbers do not become a trend. I had tons of one-on-one time with some really creative kids, got to tell them all about one of my heros, Jim Henson, and got made fun of for singing all the songs in the movie. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment