Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday Art Club: Tabletop Drawing

I decided to dig some of my dusty toys out of their box and put them to good use: giving the kids their first experience drawing human (and mutant) figures from a tabletop model.


This was a fairly laid back session. Just a few girls and boys joined me in the library to draw. They were a bit overwhelmed by the concept of drawing different angles other than a front view, and different poses other than just standing there like a zombie.

A few of them got bored and reverted to drawing their own thing, but I was fairly surprised by how many of them stuck with it.


My little prepared lesson on viewing positive and negative space pretty much flew over their heads, and I sort of expected that. But I'm glad I planted the idea in their heads. I'll find a simpler way to explain it next time.


Mostly (as you can see) I was just having fun photographing my figures and the kids. I got lots of time to sit down and do some sketches that I ended up giving away at the end of the hour. 



No comments:

Post a Comment